At the end of the eighteenth century (around 1798), the growing
number of Acadians settled in Bathurst began to acquire land in the
neighboring region which the natives called 'Petit
Nipisiguit'. Today this area is known as the town of
Our town was named in honour of William Carr Beresford, en English viscount and general. He was later knighted and became known as Lord Beresford. His name was given to our civil parish in 1814 and later to our municipality.
The village of Beresford was incorporated in 1967, on the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation. The population of the newly incorporated village was 1000. Wilfred Foulem was sworn in as the first mayor of the village of Beresford. He was later succeeded by Cleo Morrison who served two terms. Donald Arseneau, who was first elected in 1977, served as mayor of the village of Beresford during its last two complete terms.
On July 1st, 1984, Beresford became the 28th town of New Brunswick. Réal Boudreau who had been elected mayor by acclamation the previous year, became the first mayor of the town of Beresford. He remained in office for three consecutive terms. In 1995 he was succeeded by Raoul Charest who is presently serving his fifth term as mayor.
Although Beresford is commonly considered to be a bedroom
community because of its residential vocation, over one hundred
businesses can be found here, most of which are located along
rue Principale. It is the largest French-speaking community of
the Chaleur Region with an official population of 4 351 (according
to Statistics Canada's 2011 Census), the majority of whom are
The town hall, the fire station and the library are located in the Wilfred-A-Foulem Complex with the municipal garage right next door. The Cleo-Morrison Industrial Park has developped at a good pace and is presently home to approximately ten businesses. The Réal Boudreau Centre, the town's arena, and the Beresford Beach are two first rate infrastructures which contribute to the popularity of the town.
Also available are tot lots, softball, baseball, soccer, tennis and curling. The Beresford Sports Association owns many of the facilities, including the Sportek Curling Club.
In 2011 we can safely say that our town remains true to its motto "Simul Crescere -Lets grow together", as it is slowly but surely growing.
The enthusiasm and drive of its citizens, volunteers and business community make Beresford a great place to live and do business.